Install Windows 7 using a USB key on Asus X401A
I recently bought an Asus X401A at a deal price $249. I planned to give this laptop to my parents.
The laptop comes with a brand new Win 8 OS, which I don’t believe is user-friendly, especially for elders. So I decided to install a Win7 on it. However, the new UEFI bios interface made me frustrated after trying for numerous times.
Finally, I got it work. The following is the trick:
1. In the bios, the disk should be set to AHCI mode.
2. Enable the CSM mode, which I believe is the compatible mode.
3. Format the usb drive using the FAT32 format.
4. Copy all the files in the win 7 ISO into the usb drive.
5. Under \efi, create a new folder called “boot”. Copy all the files from \efi\microsoft to \efi\boot.
6. Use 7-zip open \sources\install.wim as an archive. Copy \sources\install.wim\1\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi to \efi\boot. Change the filename to “bootx64.efi”.
7. Plug in the USB key into the computer. Start the computer, press “ESC” key to trigger the boot menu. Select the name of the USB key. Then the installation process will start.